are the Grafs, Sharon and Michael, of Springfield, Illinois, proud owners
of the Larabeck, a 42-foot yacht. Sharon is an ethnomusicologist
at the University of Illinois at Springfield. Michael is an engineer who
can build or fix just about anything and who caught the sailing bug at
a very young age.
more about us --More about
got its name
the South Pacific is a big adventure and we spent years planning for it.
Read an in-depth
interview of Michael and Sharon about how our dream became a
left Florida in early May, 2010, sailing to the Panama Canal, the Galapagos
Islands, and our longest trek--3000 miles--to the Marquesas Islands! We
have meandered through French Polynesia, Niue, the Cook Islands, Tonga,
and the eastern shore of the north island New Zealand. We toured NZ's south
island by car with friends, then stayed in Auckland where Sharon researched
south pacific music and culture at the University of Auckland. In
late April, we returned to Tonga, spending the summer exploring it and
the islands of Fiji.
We flew back
to Springfield August 4, Sharon to resume teaching and Michael to consult
for his former employer. Michael returned to Fiji September 1. He and the
newest crew member, Mari, are now in Vanuatu,
and will sail to New
Caledonia and Australia
where Michael will sell the boat. Stay tuned for more adventures.
We send daily
updates (via SailMail) and photos
when we find internet. We hope you enjoy following our journey.
Efate Island, Vanuatu
17 deg 44.1972
S, 168 deg 18.5159 E
We had a long
day today. We went to customs to get a cruising permit for Espiritu
Santo Island. Most people just call this island "Santo." Also
filled the grooves on the teak deck with caulking. We did laundry
and shopping, and finally went for dinner. Mari tried the flying fox (fruit
will get up early to sail to Santo.
It is an overnight trip--if the wind is good we can make it all the way;
if not we can stop somewhere or sail through a second night. We will keep
We made some
progress on the teak
deck, but lost some time moving the boat to a mooring
buoy. The anchorage was very rolly due to some swell that was
just at the right angle to make it into the bay.
If the weather
holds tomorrow should be a good day.
checking in. M&M
we had a small storm come through with wind, rain and thunder. The wind
turned 360 degrees within a few hours. The anchor held just fine. Today
was a repeat of yesterday--rain and not much progress on the outside jobs.
Let's hope we can make more progress tomorrow.